August 2021 – May 2022
- The GTPE Next group developed several key takeaways, one of which was to explore the creation of a new academic unit.
Phase 1: Analysis and Ideation
August 2022 – July 2023
- GTPE Next initiative becomes “Lifetime Learning” initiative, including the organizational alignment of the Center for 21st Century Universities (C21U), the Center for Education Integrating Science, Mathematics, and Computing (CEISMC), and Georgia Tech Professional Education.
- Eight-week engagement with external consultant, Accenture.
- Georgia Tech working groups formed and began data collection and synthesis.
- Listening sessions and town hall offered to faculty and staff of C21U, CEISMC, and GTPE, as well as interested members of the greater campus community.
- Working groups submitted a detailed report to Georgia Tech leadership, including high-level recommendations shared with C21U, CEISMC, and GTPE.
- Phase I Working Group recommendations to be socialized with the University System of Georgia (USG).
- Division of Lifetime Learning officially launched, with Nelson Baker as interim dean.
Phase II: Detailed Planning
July 2023 through Fall 2023
- Design Team planning and activities begin, including recruitment and selection of Design Team members.
- Town Halls are hosted for faculty and staff of C21U, CEISMC, and GTPE.
- Searches begin for Lifetime Learning leadership team.
- New college proposal is presented to stakeholders, including students and faculty governance.
Fall 2023 through Summer 2024
- Design Teams develop recommendations on structure and operations of the new College, including initial structure and basic operations.
- Division of Lifetime Learning employees and greater campus are invited to provide input on recommendations through expanded listening sessions.
- Institute and Lifetime Learning leadership reviews and approves Design Team recommendations.
Phase III: Launch
Spring 2024 through Fall 2025
- New College launches (pending approvals).
- Implementation begins including the search for the inaugural dean, integration of existing C21U, CEISMC, and GTPE employees as well as other Georgia Tech faculty and staff and activities, academic program development, additional faculty and staff hiring, as needed.
Organizational structure, operations, and academic programs and their governance continue to evolve throughout Phase III and beyond.
Phase IV: New Beginnings
- First credit bearing classes of the new College likely to begin.
Updated July 2023