After the launch of Tech’s strategic plan in late 2020, working groups were formed to explore ideas and initiatives to bring the strategic focus areas to life. Nelson Baker, former dean of Georgia Tech Professional Education (GTPE), and Charles Isbell, former dean and John P. Imlay, Jr. Chair of the College of Computing, co-chaired one of those groups, called “GTPE Next.” The GTPE Next group collaborated to develop several key takeaways, one of which was to explore the creation of a new, transformational, and innovative academic unit dedicated to lifetime learning. In late 2022, GTPE Next evolved into a broader group focused on “Lifetime Learning.”
Over several months and as part of Phase 1, the Lifetime Learning initiative was supported by three working groups focused on:
- Academic Vision, Research, Faculty Governance & Strategic Planning
- Business Model and Operations
- Change Management and Communications.
Recent Division Milestones:
- July 2023:
- The Division of Lifetime Learning is created, aligning the Center for 21st Century Universities (C21U), the Center for Education Integrating Science, Mathematics, and Computing (CEISMC), and GTPE.
- Dean Baker is announced as interim dean. Baker will lead the process of creating the new unit, including establishing its leadership team.
- Phase 2 activities began and are ongoing, including deeper engagement opportunities for C21U, CEISMC, and GTPE, more formal governance conversations with faculty leadership and the USG, and detailed implementation planning.
- September 2023:
- Final report was approved. The report includes a comprehensive set of recommendations and decision points to prepare the Institute to move forward, using guidance from the University System of Georgia leadership, into the next phase of work, including detailed planning and implementation of the new college.
Information Sessions for faculty, staff, and students were held in November 2023. If you were unable to attend, you can view the recording here.
Note: Additional engagement opportunities for the campus community will be available through listening sessions beginning in December 2024.
Nelson Baker to Lead Division of Lifetime Learning - July 13, 2023
Working Groups Established to Explore Lifetime Learning Unit - Oct. 14, 2022
Georgia Tech to Explore New Academic Unit, Aligns Key Units - Aug. 31, 2022
Lifetime Learning Division Units
"Thinking Forward: Foundations for a Lifetime Learning College at Georgia Tech" (GTPE Next, Georgia Tech, 2022)
Strategic Plan 2020-2030 — Initiatives and Progress (Georgia Tech, 2020)
"Deliberate Innovation, Lifetime Education" (Commission on Creating the Next in Education, Georgia Tech, 2018)